Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Favorite Quote

I would like to share with you one of my very favorite quotes:

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars...
~Jack Kerouac

I sometimes feel like that. Occasionally, I well up with feelings so strong that I feel I will explode. It can be brought on by something as simple as stepping into a room showing an art exhibit of something I like. It can be as simple as walking alone in the snow on a brisk dark night, the anticipation of getting together with old friends for an evening of good conversation, standing at the edge of the ocean staring out at the unknown beneath all that water, the magic of Christmas Eve, hearing a powerful group sing the Hallelujah Chorus, every single time I hear Kirk Franklin sing the gospel song "Why We Sing", and when I just recently received a video clip of a 12-year-old schoolgirl singing "Ave Maria" while auditioning for American Idol, I was immediately engulfed in goosebumps and tears of joy filled my eyes. You know the feeling you get when you are at a theater - the play is over and everyone stands and yells and claps and whistles? I love those feelings! They make you feel good inside, glad to be alive, and you forget about the evils of the world and you are just happy to BE. I think if you have ever felt this way, you understand what I'm saying. I just know there are wonderful things in this world that make me mad, desirous and burning with emotion.
Anyone else feel this way?

1 comment:

suzi whitaker said...

I love that quote!!! I know exactly what you mean, I feel that way a lot. Sometimes, something so simply wonderful will bring me to tears! And I realize how glad I am to be alive!