Friday, February 26, 2010

My Love of House Plants



































































With all the talk of snow, cold, and wind, and seemingly no end in sight, I am going to share my love of house plants with you. I have plants all over the house. I love to watch them grow....I love the green of them....I love to see buds and flowers appear on them. Most of these plants I've grown from little starts and I've had them for years. I confess... I talk to them. It must work ~ they're thriving. I couldn't imagine not having plants around me. Loving the outdoors and gardening so much ~ having plants in the house brings some of that in during the cold, drab winter months.

I have always wanted an orchid plant but never purchased one because of the high cost and fear of losing it. About a month ago, the local grocery store had a cart with a few sad looking, half dead orchid plants that were marked down, so I figured why not give it a try. Well, this week my first orchid opened up and there are four more buds getting ready to open. Ah, sweet success. My African violets have been blooming all winter long, so I've had the joy of these few flowers.

I've been seeing robins in the yard for the past two weeks. This has to be a good sign! Yesterday, while sitting at my desk, the starlings suddenly swooped down from somewhere and invaded the front yard. I do believe Spring is near.

6 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I absolutely LOVE your plants---looks like what Dad used to have. We have lmited natural light in the house, thus I only have a few.
I have four orchids I picked up at Aldis for $8 a piece. Three have gone dormant after a long blooming period but one is starting to show hints of reblooming! Don't cut the bloom stem after it is finished unless it dies. It will produce more flowers.
Now I need to look online for what to do with the three that the stems died but the leaaves are still healthy.
A robin? Starlings? It's Spring there!!!! :D

XXOO!!
Anne

yoborobo said...

I love your plants! I love houseplants, too, but I don't have as many as you do. :) My daughter has fallen in love with bonsai and orchids and taken one of each back to her dorm to care for. I think they keep her from being homesick for a pet, and yes, someone to talk to or fuss over if she needs it. My Mom (always an avid outdoor gardener when she was younger) is now living in a condo with no yard. I've been sneaking little plants in to her house and I think she now 'gets it'. :) Have a great weekend! No robins here, but the birds in the woods sound much happier. Spring is definitely around the corner! xoxo Pam

Marlene said...

Love your plants. I do not have any at present. I don't seem to be able to keep them alive and finally gave up. I do have planters on my deck in the summer and have my outdoor plants to look at.

Jan said...

Oh your plants look so healthy and clean and thriving! I have lots too and they do pretty well but really need a good dusting. My african violets are flowering and so are my my my whatchamacallits. You should get some of those;-) A friend gave me an orchid and it bloomed for nearly a year. I didn't cut the stem and now, like Anne said, it has started blooming again from that same stem. I was surprised, glad I didn't cut it off. Now I bought a second one at a garage sale. it isn't blooming yet but it is still alive so I will be so excited if it ever blooms to see what the flower looks like. Cyclamen! That is what I have that blooms as much as a violet! I love their flowers and think they are less trouble than a violet also. Mine produced seeds last year, I think it is about time to try starting them. The cyclamen, I mean. I have started violets from leaf cuttings, sometimes successfully. Those plants of yours certainly help to get you through the winter, and all the birds help to bring some cheer. Nice photos as usual!

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Oh I love your houseplants! I do miss having a large group of them, had to scale back to just a few!

Anonymous said...

AUDREY, I LOVE YOUR HOUSE PLANTS, AND THE OUTSIDE PLANTS I'VE SEEN OF YOURS. YOU SURE HAVE A GREEN THUMB! THEY ARE SO HEALTHY LOOKING! LOVE, LINDA