Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August

August rushes by like desert rainfall,
A flood of frenzied upheaval,
Expected,
But still catching me unprepared.
Like a matchflame
Bursting on the scene,
Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.
Like a dream
Of moon and dark barely recalled,
A moment,
Shadows caught in a blink.
Like a quick kiss;
One wishes for more
But it suddenly turns to leave,
Dragging summer away.
~Elizabeth Maua Taylor
~Photos by Audrey
***
Can August really be here?  Are we ready for the scorching heat of this month as it makes us yearn for the crisp cooler air of September?  The stores are already stocking Fall items in preparation of the 4th quarter of this year.  It will be upon us soon.  I like August.  It is a prelude to my favorite season.  This year, more than ever before, I really look forward to Fall.  My body is weary from the heat of summer.  I know that I'll feel better physically and mentally when the weather turns cooler.  Some outdoor projects have been left untouched this year ~ too hot.  My garage is filled with furniture waiting for me to put paint to it ~ too hot.  As the temperature cools, I will finally be able to tackle that.  I had looked forward to doing some artwork out on the back porch this summer.  That never happened ~ too hot.  I didn't plant as many flowers as I usually do, either.  I'm not feeling too bad about that right now because the flowers are looking a little on the sad side this year ~ too hot.
I think many of us have had it with the heat this year.  Last summer was hot as well, but this year has been bad for a big portion of the country.  Not only has it been uncomfortable, it has caused so much loss in crops and more.  I'm wondering if this is what our future summers will be like.  
August is here, ready or not.  I hope to get some things accomplished this month as I look forward to pumpkins, cider, orange hues, cool crisp air, and all the beauty that comes with Fall.
Audrey

2 comments:

Manon said...

Hey, Audrey!!

It's been hot here also and we all are waiting for October for a cool down. It has been a long hot summer for everyone!! Love your pics!!
I hope all is well!! xo

Amanda said...

hot here too....love the pictures :) love you!!