Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkins





Since we are in the Season of Pumpkins, I thought I would share this article about pumpkins that I found interesting:

Pumpkins, which are actually fruits, not vegetables, range considerably in size. Some varieties weight less than a pound, while giant pumpkins can grow to more than 1,000 pounds! Pumpkins are members of the gourd family, which also includes watermelons and zucchini. They are 90% water and also contain high concentrations of potassium and vitamin A.

Pumpkins, which grow from vines, originated in Central America and were a popular crop among Native Americans. Some tribes used the seeds for food and medicine and made sleeping mats out of dried pumpkin strips. American colonists invented the pumpkin pie, but their original version used the pumpkin as the crust, not the main ingredient. They cut off pumpkin tops to make handy edible bowls, which they filled with milk, honey and spices and then cooked over a fire or hot ashes.

1 comment:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

WOW!!!! I want that great big one! What a pumpkin!!
When Dad had a garden, we always grew our own, then I grew them a while here, but the soil is not good for them. Got a few of the tiny ones and they were so fun!
I miss my vegetable garden fiercely, especially when I see pics like these.
Beautiful!

XXOO!!
Anne