Thursday, August 30, 2018

Memories of Canton, Ohio

While in Canton this month, I drove around my old neighborhoods.  Looking at the houses I lived in while growing up brought back many wonderful memories.  The houses aren't looking too great these days, but I could picture them as they were when we lived in them so many years ago.  
The Canton City Bakery Building sits empty on the corner only a block down the street from our house.  I can almost smell a loaf of that warm bread as I carried it home.
Thinking back on my years at St. Paul's Catholic Church and School will always be dear to my heart ~ The formation of my faith, first friendships, and a loving stable parish ~ these things will be with me always.
I drove past buildings that housed little neighborhood grocery stores that we went to often ~ Some buildings gone, others empty or used for something else now: Thomas Grocery Store and Stillo's to mention a few.
Lehman High School was not far from where I lived at one time.  Right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, it now sits empty and in ruins ~ windows broken and ivy growing up the sides.  Many of my friends went to school there ~ it must hurt them to see it as it is now with memories locked inside those walls.
I always stop at the little grotto built in honor of Rhoda Wise (my mother knew her).  The grotto is built right behind her house.  The process has begun to one day canonize Rhoda as only the 4th American born saint.  You can read The Rhoda Wise Story online.
Another stop was made at Sancta Clara Monastery where the Poor Clare nuns of Adoration live.  The monastery and grounds are SO beautiful.  I feel at peace when there.
I also viewed the spot where 77 Colonial Lanes once sat.  I bowled there for many years and it held fun wonderful memories.  How sad it was to see the building gone and a new building that houses Duluth Trading Co. in that spot.
I drove down Serpentine Hill by Mercy Hospital.  It has been redone and is less dangerous than it once was.  Many years ago, Brother Patrick and I slid down that hill backwards in a snowstorm in his VW Bug, holding our breath till we came to a stop.
And of course, Central Catholic High School.  Lifelong friendships were built in this building and memories that will forever warm my heart.
Too many other places and memories to mention.  I smiled, I cried, and I remembered.
1637 Edwards Ave. NE * I loved this little bungalow ~ it was pale pink when we lived there and in better condition.  Many memories of fun times spent playing out in the street with my brother Patrick, and the neighborhood kids.  Those were great years.
 1719 Roosevelt Ave. NE * This was my Grandpa Kopka's house.  We lived with him there when we moved from Edwards Ave.  I loved this yard.  Back then it seemed SO big.  There was a huge willow tree in the middle of the yard that I loved to sit under.  There was a cherry tree and a garden.  This is where "Chippy", my brother Patrick's pet chipmunk, lived and died in a cage in the garage.
 1433 Ferndale Rd. NW * This is where we lived for a few years after grandpa passed away and we sold the house on Roosevelt.  Mom took her time looking for a house for us.
 610 - 23rd Street NW * This is the house mom found and bought for us.  We had many happy years in this house.
 Canton City Bakery
 Canton St. Paul's Catholic Church and School
 Thomas Grocery Store
 Lehman High School ~ this is where Casey's dad, Jim Fish, went to school.
 Lehman High School, now boarded up and in ruins.
 The grotto in backyard of Rhoda Wise's home.
 Sancta Clara Monastery on Market Avenue in Canton.
 On the Sancta Clara Monastery grounds.
 Serpentine Hill
 Duluth Trading Co. now sits where 77 Colonial Lanes was.
Central Catholic High School in Canton, Ohio

2 comments:

Terra said...

It sounds bitter sweet to visit your old home town, the houses, your school, etc. and see the changes. I would like to visit the monastery, it sounds beautiful and serene.

Unknown said...

My family also lived at 1433 Ferndale in the early 70s