Thursday, April 11, 2013

Personal Meaning of the Word "Stroke"

I wrote this while in the ICU this afternoon.

What a difference a day makes.  One never knows what might occur at any hour of any day.  As I sit here watching my dear mother moaning with every breath she takes, wondering why she has to suffer, I think about Wednesday morning and how normal the day began ~ no hint of what was to come.

Mom has endured much physical suffering throughout her life.  The most recent being the terrible pain she experiences off and on with her spinal stenosis since 2005.  Now, this stroke has taken the Mother I know and before me in this bed is a broken hurt woman.  It hurts so much to see her like this.  The strong TPA clot busting drug they gave her, did repair her mouth droop, she is saying words, and her left side is now responding.  But, she is showing signs of confusion, pain, and she has large bruises on her body from her fall when she had the stroke.

She was a mere five steps from her chair that she was walking to.  She fell in the kitchen on the hard tile, hitting her chin on the edge of the counter and scraping her throat all the way down her neck.  Her glasses put a small gash in her nose. Thank God I was there.  I heard her fall.  When I saw her face, I knew immediately and dialed 911.

She didn't sleep last night.  She needs rest.  She needs to eat but only took a few sips of some juice this afternoon and didn't want more.

They will be moving her from ICU tomorrow to the Stroke Unit where she will receive special care, physical therapy, and speech therapy if needed.  

So now we watch and wait and pray.  Please, dear God, help my Mother return to the woman she was Wednesday morning ~ the woman who has always had the strongest faith in You and who says many prayers every single day.  She's not able to pray right now.  Please hear my prayers and the prayers of all my friends and family on her behalf.  Amen.

9 comments:

Joe Beale said...

My sincere wishes for a speedy recovery for your mother, take care of yourself too.

Caterina Giglio said...

I am still praying for you, for her and hope you can take care of yourself as well... sending you hugs ((xx))

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

thoughts and prayers for your Mom and for you as well. Oma Linda

Deborah said...

Oh Audrey, she IS praying, every breath a prayer. I am praying too, for Mother and Daughter.

Once she is settled in the stroke unit, do you think they would allow a quick visit from Jake?

Lovelovelove to you, Deb

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

My thoughts and love are with you and your Mother.
Gailx

Jan said...

Audrey I am so sorry to hear this has happened to your Mom. I'm praying for her and for you and your family that she surprises everyone with her quick recovery. What a shock! Please take care of yourself. You are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, I am praying for you and Mom that she will be spared as much pain as possible. xox

Anonymous said...

Hi Audrey,
This is Sue's brother's granddaughter- Julie. I read your post and just wanted to tell you what an amazing inspiration and pillar of strength your mom has been to our family over the years. It breaks my heart to think of her struggling right now. And as her loving daughter, I can't really begin to imagine what this is doing to you. I am comforted to know that God is right there with her every breath she takes. He is watching over her and she will be healed by Him according to His timing and plan (whether on Earth or in Heaven). The Bible promises, "All things work for the good of those who love God and choose to do His will" (Romans 8:28). Aunt Sue has certainly been a woman of faith and openly reached out to share her faith and kindness with our family and I'm sure to many others. What a blessing she has been and continues to be. We can all rest assured that the Lord is carefully watching over her every breath this very moment. Thank you for keeping us up to date Audrey. Much love in Christ, Julie

Anonymous said...

DEAR SWEET AUDREY AND PATTY, I AM PRAYING FOR MOM FOR HER PAIN TO LESSEN AND RECOVER SOON. I KNOW HOW HARD THIS IS ON YOU AND SISTER. I HOPE PATTY IS THERE NOW AS I KNOW SHE WAS GOING TO VISIT HER SISTER AND MOM SOON. YOU ARE ALL IN MY PRAYERS. LOVE YOU ALL, LINDA