Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back From Ohio








































































































Hello.
*****I've returned from my trip to Ohio where I visited with family and friends and I enjoyed some much needed R & R. I would like to share just a couple of things from that trip.
*****Notice the clouds in the Ohio Welcome Sign picture. The average number of sunny days in Ohio is somewhere in the 66 range. That leaves 299 overcast and cloudy days. In spite of that, there are many beautiful areas in Ohio ~ open spaces with trees, fields, cows, horses, lakes, etc. I was born and raised in Canton, Ohio - home of William McKinley. The McKinley Monument is at one end of Monument Park and something to see. There is a great barn that you pass while traveling on I-77 ~ you always remember the Ohio bicentennial celebration each time you pass by it. There is another wonderful barn in Dalton, Ohio, showcasing a tobacco advertisement. Canton is the home of Sancta Clara Monastery where the Poor Clare Nuns live. The monastery sets on a large, beautiful piece of land. I like stopping by there on my trips back home. The lush, green hills with many, many rolls of hay is something you see often while traveling I-77 and the back roads. While I was driving on one of those back roads, I needed to make a U-turn and suddenly Mr. Cow was there looking at me with those big eyes. I'm not sure why he was in a cage. Every trip back home takes me to the Donald Drumm Studios and Gallery in Akron, Ohio. (Right next to the University of Akron). This is one of my favorite places to relax, get filled with inspiration, and purchase a wonderful piece of art. When you walk through the door, you enter a magical place that allows you to shut out the world and enjoy the true beauty of art. Don Drumm opened the studios and gallery in 1971. It is one of the earliest galleries of contemporary craft opened in the United States. Don Drumm is world-renowned for his use of cast aluminum as an artistic medium. His work is represented on five world continents. (I proudly own one of his many sun sculptures - I will post a picture of it later this week). There are three courtyards filled with outdoor art and windchimes.... 5,000 square feet filled with the finest jewelry, glass, sculpture, ceramics, metal and graphics created by the most talented designer-craftsmen in North America. There is also a Secret Garden which houses large garden sculptures and windchimes. I am usually in the studios for several hours when I visit there. If you are ever in the Akron, Ohio, area, it would be well worth your time to stop there.
*****My sister has a pot of unusual flowers on her patio - white with purple polka dots - had to share that. And my dear friend has a beautiful hydrangea bush in her yard with large blue flowers.
*****These are just a few of the things I saw while in Ohio. It gives you only a taste of what is there to see.
*****I had a wonderful visit but it is always comforting to be back home................

1 comment:

gallagherassoc said...

Love to see the pictures. Refreshing and interresting.