Friday, May 4, 2018

May 4, 1970 ~ Kent State University

Minutes Before the Shooting at Kent State University

48 years ago today, 4 students were killed and 9 injured when the Ohio National Guard opened fire on a crowd gathered to protest the Vietnam War.  I was outside minutes before the shooting as I had just returned from lunch.  I went into the Alumni Relations Office where I worked  (the building was immediately to the left of this photo).  Minutes later, the shooting took place and we were put on lockdown and not able to leave for several hours.
The charred remains of the ROTC Building in the photo is where I had my Life Drawing classes. It was hard to believe that it had been intentionally burned to the ground.
48 years later and I vividly remember everything that took place that entire sad and shocking day.


No comments: