Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mockingbird











"Everybody have you heard
He's gonna buy me a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird don't sing
He's gonna buy me a diamong ring
And if that diamond ring don't shine
Surely gonna break this heart of mine."


After watching intently and doing some research, I now know that the bird I talked about the other day that sings so much and jumps up and down, is a Northern Mockingbird. I have two or three of them living in and around my yard. These slender-bodied grey birds sing almost endlessly and they flaunt their bright white wing patches. They sit atop the roof peaks, singing their hearts out, bolting several feet into the air in a looping motion, with wings outstretched to display their white underside. I enjoy watching them fly from one rooftop to the next and back and then to the streetlight and back to the roof. They prance around in the grass foraging for insects, all the while singing nonstop.

Some people find them to be an annoyance. Others find joy in their constant singing. At this point, I am enjoying their presence.

I did my best to photograph one of them jumping. The picture will at least give you an idea. I also took a picture from inside my studio, looking out, to show you how I manage to see all this activity.

1 comment:

Doda said...

How charming! Cute birdy!
And I've never heard that version of the song. That's sweet.