Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Vatican 2020 Nativity

A high school classmate pointed out today, the unveiling of the 2020 Vatican Nativity Scene, and stated her feelings about how awful it is.

 I have to agree. The Vatican states that it is an Ode to Contemporary Art and Cultural History!

This depiction of the Nativity does nothing for me and I would imagine there are many who feel this way after seeing it. I have seen many beautiful nativities over the years - artfully created - but with a beauty that reflects the Nativity scene we have grown to know and love.
 
Perhaps this particular scene would be better appreciated in an art museum. As for me, I would think that the Vatican, of all places, would have a nativity scene reminding us of the simple stable where Jesus was born with Mary and Joseph at His side.
 
I am open minded and I love contemporary art, but this being the 2020 Vatican Nativity choice, is a disappointment!

No comments: